For anyone considering using the parent-organised school buses in the southern area of the school, the Culham Bus Club is offering the chance to try out the school buses at no cost during the final few weeks of term. Trials for the following buses are available:
Bus 5: East Hendred, Chilton, Blewbury, Didcot (including Broadway, Foxhall Road, Ladygrove, Didcot Parkway station), Appleford
Bus 6: Wantage, Grove, East Hanney, Frilford, Marcham, Spring Road, South Abingdon, Drayton, Milton, Sutton Courtenay
Bus 7: Tilehurst, Whitchurch, Woodcote, Goring, Ipsden, Cholsey, Brightwell, Wallingford, Benson, Shillingford, Dorchester
Using the school bus frees you from the school run, saving you substantial time and decreasing traffic congestion at the school. And its fun for the kids! Give it a try with no obligation and no risk.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your free trial with the Bus Club!
PTA Transport Coordinator"
There are 2 bus organisations, both run and organised by parents themselves. The school does not receive any public funding to run buses. The school tries to help parents by providing supervision from the moment the bus arrives at school in the morning and after school until the child is handed over to the bus driver. In order to make sure a child goes on the correct bus (there are 8 at the moment), the school prints of a daily bus list for the younger pupils.
- Frequently asked questions about the BLOC buses
- Please read here about the Culham Bus Club buses (CBC)
For more information please contact:
- Julia Lenaghan - BLOC: email@example.com
- Jon Alcantara - CBC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current bus routes:
- Route bus 1 (Bloc) - Boundary House, Botley, Summertown, North Oxford
- Route bus 2a (Bloc) - Bayswater Rd, Headington, Iffley Rd, Sandford/Thames, ESUK
- Route bus 2b (Bloc) - Marston, Cowley Rd, Littlemore, Nuneham Courtenay, ESUK
- Route bus 3 (Bloc) - Cumnor, Wootton, Abingdon
- Route bus 4 (Bloc) - Abingdon, Radley, Kennington, South Oxford
- Route bus 5 (CBC) - East Hendred, Harwell, Blewbury, Chilton, Didcot, Appleford
- Route bus 6 (CBC) - Wantage, East Hanney, Frilford, South Abingdon, Drayton, Sutton Courtenay
- Route bus 7 (CBC) - Tilehurst, Purley, Goring, Cholsey, Wallingford, Benson, Dorchester
Please consider whether your child is sufficiently mature to be on the bus. Often the bus driver is the only monitor, so the child has to stay in his or her seat with a seatbelt on and follow the bus driver's instructions. For very young children, the days may be too long and they may become too tired for learning during the school days. Some young children cope fine though, so the school leaves it up to the discretion of the parents. The school provides supervision until the children go into the bus.
For all pupils, please notify the school office of your child's regular bus routine: email@example.com . For younger pupils, do not deviate from this routine apart from in the case of emergencies. With 8 buses full of pupils, the risk for errors is just too great. There is more flexibilty from year 4 onwards, when children are more mature. If this is too difficult, please consider alternative arrangements.
It is important to inform the school office as soon as possible, with 2 days notice, of any changes in the bus routine. Do not just tell the teacher or leave a note, but phone the school or send an e-mail to the school on our dedicated e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you inform the school on the day, this means we have to interrupt the class to let the teacher know. We will only do so for emergencies.
If there is any doubt, the school will keep a child at school.
Contact details parent-run bus companies:
- Buses nr 1,2a and 2b,3 and 4 are run by Charleton: 01865 331249
- Buses number 5, 6 and 7 are run by JD Travel: 01865 714220
Free School Transport provided by the county council.
To check whether your child is eligible, please go here: https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/free-home-school-transport
There is a small train station at about a 15 minute walk from the school. Please check the time carefully though, as there are not many trains stopping. For more information see:
Both the 114 and T2 bus service no longer operates following the withdrawal of a subsidy by the council, so there are no local public buses serving the school.
If you arrive by train, please come to the entrance from the Abingdon Road, where you can ring the bell and we can open the gate for you.